What do you make? Money or a difference?
I love this clip of Taylor Mali (thanks Seth Godin!). He’s a native of New York City and classes himself as a poet, teacher and voice over artist. I’m working a lot on the theme of personal branding right now, and I’ve listed a few points that resonated with me, having watched this video:
- He’s making teaching fun, engaging and passionate.
- He’s taking the focus away from the curriculum and assessment, and more towards HOW things are delivered in the classroom.
- His message is about making a difference, rather than making money.
- He’s found a niche and has sought to dominate it.
- He’s using social media and appearing on stage as a way of promoting his message – and his brand.
- You know what he stands for.
- He’s on a mission – and it drives him.
- When the message is simple and delivered in an innovative and entertaining manner – it hits home!
Some lessons for us all I think.